Studying is not only generally expensive but also because over time, the costs for educational materials accumulate. Especially at the beginning of a study program, instructors often require books and other materials that are both expensive and tend to gather dust on the shelf after the exam. For these reasons, the Student Union (ÖH) has established so-called "Bücherbörse" where students can sell books (not just academic ones) to other students at affordable prices. Sellers determine the selling price and consign their books to the exchange. The exchange then sells these books to interested parties at the set price (including a 10% fee for administration).
The Bücherbörse is a second-hand bookshop where you can buy used books and offer your books for sale. If you wish to sell books through us, we accept them on certain conditions.
The Bücherbörse was born out of the motivation to make books more affordable for students and non-student word enthusiasts who are in financially precarious situations. At the same time, it provides a platform to make books that are no longer needed accessible to others. Such a system is possible because the Bücherbörse is not profit-oriented and is funded by the ÖH Uni Wien (Student Union at the University of Vienna).
The Bücherbörse is a largely self-organized project that operates collectively and makes decisions collectively. For the Bücherbörse to function, it requires a willingness from those who want to use it to be (self)responsible and respectful of the space. When you enter the Bücherbörse, we do not stand in a customer-service provider relationship, but rather as a community interested in the functioning of the Bücherbörse.
Therefore, the Book Exchange sees itself as a decidedly political space. Knowing that this space cannot be completely free from societal power dynamics, it is still our goal not to allow racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia, antisemitism, anti-Roma sentiments, anti-Muslim content, or any content glorifying the Nazi regime or the Wehrmacht, whether in verbal or printed form, to have a place here.
We look forward to welcoming new arrivals in writing and human literature seekers.
We only accept books from the following categories
- Political Science
- Education Sciences / Pedagogy / Social Work
- Gender Studies, Queer Studies & Feminist Theory
- Journalism & Communication Sciences
- Theater, Film & Media Studies
- Art History, Art Theory, Aesthetics & Architecture, Photography, Graphic Novels
- Literary Studies
- Cultural History
- Cultural and Social Anthropology
- Natural Sciences (only Astronomy, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Earth Sciences)
- Religious Studies (no Esotericism, no Spiritual Coaching)
- Language Learning and Teaching Books
- Current Travel Literature (not older than ten years)
- Fiction from A to Z in all languages (Pilcher, Konsalik, Jojo Moyes, Cecilia Ahern, etc., are not our best friends)
- Course scripts from University of Vienna courses, not older than 1 year!
We do not accept books that do not fall into these categories. This includes, in particular:
- Esotericism, Spirituality, Alternative Medicine, Complementary Medicine, Homeopathy, Anthroposophy
- Sports, Training, Fitness, Yoga, Pilates, Cookbooks, etc.
- Self-help books / self-help literature (unless related to academic work, etc.)
- Pictorial books without artistic content (such as those about cities, landscapes, etc.)
- Dictionaries in German, English, French, Spanish, Italian
- Encyclopedias, except those particularly valuable for their respective field
- Textbooks, except for unmarked language learning books
- German-language Crime/Thriller novels
- Books set in Fraktur typeface
Bücherbörse at NIG
- Neues Institutsgebäude NIG, ground floor, Universitätsstraße 7, 1010 Vienna
- After the main entrance > glassdoor on the left
- Tel.: +43 (0)1 4277-19506
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: @BueboeNIG
- Instagram: @buecherboerse_NIG
Core Opening Hours
- Monday: 11-17h
- Tuesday: 11-17h
- Wednesday: 11-17h
- Thursday: 11-17h
- Friday: 11-17h
- Closed during lecture-free periods, pickup dates in summer will be announced
Rules for Sellers at the Bücherbörse in the NIG
- The staff of the Bücherbörse (Bübö) reserve the right to refuse books or return them. This may be based on their condition, content, publisher, or the inability to determine the original price.
- Each individual can consign a maximum of 5 books per week. (For multi-volume works, it depends on the work and current space availability.)
- To create a Bübö account, we need your name, a Bübö identification number (student ID number or other), your email address, and phone number. Note: The deadlines specified in these terms and conditions also apply if we cannot reach you.
- By submitting a book for sale, you agree to the electronic processing of the personal data you provide for the operation of the Bücherbörse. The data will not be disclosed to third parties or used for unrelated purposes.
- You can find information about which categories of books you can list on our website or in the Bübö. We ask you to enter your identification number, estimated price, and the current month and year in each book at home. You set the price yourself, but it must not exceed half the original price. Otherwise, it may be corrected downward by staff without notice.
- Once your books are sold, you can request payment. Bübö retains 10% of the sale price. We do not notify you separately about sales. We kindly ask you (unless you have urgent financial problems) not to inquire every day about whether something has been sold or not. Furthermore, we kindly ask (also, if there are no financial problems or other issues) that you only request payment after selling at least 5 books. This way, you save Bübö and the environment the additional cost of paper receipts and save our staff a lot of time. We sincerely thank you! You can request payment within 3 years with photo ID starting from the date the respective book was sold.
- Your books will be offered for sale for a maximum of 13 calendar months. This means that if you bring in 6 books in October 2022, they will be available for sale until October 31, 2023. During this time, you can retrieve your books free of charge at any time. Don't forget to return them to us first in the computer system!
- Books that have been in the Bücherbörse for longer than 13 calendar months and have not been sold or retrieved will become the property of Bübö and may be disposed of by Bübö. You will not be notified about this.
- Unsold review copies, free books (e.g., one-city-one-book books), and books that have been retrieved cannot be offered for sale (again).
- Please note that as of October 1, 2019, no losses will be paid out if your book has not been sold by the following summer inventory and is not found.
- Returns: If you have brought in one or more books that do not correspond to our (current) categories (see 1 and 9), you have 4 weeks from the date of our notification to retrieve your book(s). After this period, the book(s) will become the property of Bübö. The same applies to copies whose owner cannot be identified due to illegible customer data in the book.
Information for Buyers
- You can have books reserved in your name for a maximum of one week.
- Exchange, returns ("money back"), payment by credit or debit card, or borrowing books is not possible under any circumstances.
- Due to data protection reasons, it is not possible to access the Bübö operating system. Staff will gladly provide information about your customer account.
- These terms and conditions apply to newly registered individuals from October 1, 2019. By consigning books for sale, individuals who already have a Bübö account agree to the updated terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions may be changed by us at any time without giving reasons. If a change is made, it will be published on the ÖH Uni Wien website at least 2 weeks before it takes effect. Due to organizational reasons, individual notification is not possible. Please check periodically for updates.
Current News & Dates
From July 1st to October 1st, the University of Vienna is in summer vacation, and during this period, the Bücherbörse remains closed. However, this year, we will offer some pick-up dates during the summer for book orders from the online list. The first pick-up dates are:
- Thursday, July 27th.
- Tuesday, August 8th.
- Tuesday, August 22nd.
Each day from 11 am to 5 pm.
Please send us an email with your book requests from the inventory list and the date you would like to pick up the books by the respective deadline. We will set aside the books for you, so they will be ready for you to pick up.
Due to uncertainties in German railway services, the two planned lectures on May 16th and 17th had to be postponed at short notice. They are expected to be rescheduled for October.